Home » Can Pugs Eat Grapes? {You’ll be Shocked to Know}
Articles

Can Pugs Eat Grapes? {You’ll be Shocked to Know}

Pugs are an amazing dog breed to have. They are the world’s most amiable and gentle pets. To take care of them, we would want to feed them proper nutritious food. Fruits are an amazing source of Vitamins and antioxidants for them. We know grapes are an amazing fruit. They have lots of nutrition in them. But recent studies tell you that a lot of pugs have suffered health problems when given a grape. Pugs have suffered even from kidney failures by consuming just one grape. There is still no absolute evidence as to what exactly causes the issue. Researchers are yet to determine what causes the problem, it can be the pesticide or the fungus. Let us know more about it


Can Pugs Eat Grapes?


No pug should ever be fed a grape. As far as ASPCA or Animal Poison Control Center is concerned, from a total of 180, 639 cases a total of 3,722 cases were raised due to raisins and grapes. The problem with grapes also stems from not knowing the reasons why grapes are so bad. Does nobody know why grapes are toxic to pugs? Purina Senior Nutritionist Jan Dempsey says, “People should avoid keeping fruits such as grapes in a nearby table accessible to your pug. Make sure it is out of reach. Your pug would be tempted to try something simply because it’s within reach.”


The Nutritional Content of Grapes


The botanical classification of grapes is berries. One cup of grape has just 100 calories. And, the best thing is the fruit is jam-packed with both Vitamins C and K. Raisins are made out of raw grapes which are dried in sunlight. There are as many as 60 different kinds of grapes and they have a wide variety numbering 8000. 

The main two types of grapes are American and European, one is seedless and the other is seeded. Grapes are low in calories and have 80% water. That’s why it is perfect for summer. The grape seeds have a lot of beneficial oxidants for the human body. 

A cup of grapes has this many nutrients:

  • Calories: 104
  • Carbs: 27.3 grams
  • Protein: 1.1 grams
  • Fat: 0.2 grams
  • Fibre: 1.4 grams
  • Vitamin C: 27% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
  • Vitamin K: 28% of the RDI
  • Thiamine: 7% of the RDI
  • Riboflavin: 6% of the RDI
  • Vitamin B6: 6% of the RDI
  • Potassium: 8% of the RDI
  • Copper: 10% of the RDI
  • Manganese: 5% of the RDI

Grapes also contain a quarter of Vitamin K which helps you in strengthening bones and enhances blood clotting abilities. But the only problem is it is extremely toxic for your pet.


What Important Nutrients Do Pugs Miss Out on Grapes?


Veterinarians are still not sure what exactly makes grapes toxic for your pooch. And, it is not only with grapes but with raisins as well. It is very sad considering some nutrients could have made your pug transform into a much healthier dog. Grapes in general are very helpful to humans because they have so many good nutrients. Some essential nutrients include:

  • Vitamin K is very essential for bone growth and helping in blood clots.
  • Antioxidants help massively in repairing cell wall damages.
  • Resveratrol is an amazing nutrient found in grapes, wine, and grape juice. It reduces inflammation in the body and also protects you from diabetes, heart disease.
  • Grapes also contain both fibre and water. Both are essential and fibre helps in regular bowel movements.
  • Grapes also have anthocyanins which help reduce inflammation.

What is Grape Toxicity?


Grape toxicity happens when there is an anuric renal failure in your pugs. When a grape is consumed by the pug, there is a sign of damage in canine kidney cells. Do many people want to know the answer regarding how much shall be too much? Well, the truth is there is no answer regarding it. If your pooch accidentally fills his mouth with one or two, make sure it is out of his/her mouth.

Are Grapes Toxic to Pugs?

Does the problem also lie in the fact that a lot of vets do not know why the grapes are toxic? There is a lot of research actually that has been going on to know more reasons about the toxicity. Some theories that have been provided are:

  • Fungus and Molds- Actually fungus or molds causing any issue with the grape has been ruled out recently. 
  • Seeds- There is this notion that seeds are toxic, but it’s not true. Both seeds and seedless grapes can cause an issue and a problem.
  • Allergies- Pugs can show allergic reactions to plant-based eating. But, there is not much proof available to be substantiated. 
  • Pesticides- It has been found out that both organic and industrial grapes can cause issues in your pug’s body. Almost all grapes have a negative reaction.
  • Salicylates- It is an aspirin-like compound that has toxins and it prompts pugs to be sick.

So, the desirable conclusion however stands that grapes are not a friendly fruit with seeds or without. Not a single person should give it to their pugs, It can cause many health issues.


Symptoms of Grape Toxicity in Pugs


As soon as your pug has eaten a grape, some symptoms of grape toxicity will be visible to you. If your pug has ingested one or more grapes, these symptoms will come up:

  • Kidney failure: Can be fatal and symptoms may persist for as long as 72 hours.
  • Loss of appetite: 24-48 hours after eating.
  • Vomiting: This can happen in just 2-12 hours.
  • Diarrhoea: Can happen in 2-12 hours.
  • Extreme pain on the abdominal area: Abdomen can appear tender in a timeframe of 12-24 hours.
  • Pug will be still, look weak, lethargic
  • Pug will look very dehydrated, especially gums (some signs of dehydration will be extremely visible for you like: elasticity in the skin, panting, reduced energy levels, dry sticky gums, dry nose, sunken dry-looking eyes, trouble breathing)
  • Increased thirst and urine production. It generally issues a signal that the kidney is failing to perform its function. Its symptoms may persist for 72 hours.
  • No urine production at all.

Induce your pug to vomit in less than 2 hours. Your vet will advise you to do that. Run to the vet immediately if the symptoms persist for a longer duration of time.


What If My Pug Eats a Grape?


Well, for starters act quickly as soon as you know that your pug has eaten a grape. Run to your veterinarian without losing extra time. Your vet might recommend you induce vomiting. But do not force your pug to vomit when he/she is gasping for air. Your pug has a chance of survival when treated. 

When you reach the vet care centre, the first thing your vet will do is to try to induce vomiting in your pug. They will try their best to get your pug’s stomach empty. Then, they will provide your pooch with activated charcoal that binds the toxins and prevents absorption. That way they can limit the damages done to the kidney. They will also do a urinalysis to check the kidney functionality. As far as acute renal failure is concerned, vets may start fluid therapy

There is a story about a pug named Leah who survived the grape poisoning episode. Leah suffered from acute renal failure. After reaching a hospital, quick action was taken and Leah was already injected with gastric protectants and class IV fluids. As far as ASPCA is concerned many dogs do not survive grape eating. Especially when they do not get proper treatment on time. 

We love our pugs and want to share food with them. It’s okay to share food as long as the food is safe. Grapes are not such food that should be shared. As it can cause a lot of health issues to your pooch. 


Are Grape Seeds Toxic as Well?


A lot of people might not know this but grape seeds can cure diseases like arthritis. There is no proof actually that grape seeds can be toxic to pugs. But still seeing the adverse reactions of eating a grape, it is advised to not eat them. 


Can a Single Grape Kill Your Pug?


Well, frankly speaking, a single grape can also inflict a lot of damage on your pug. There is no assurance that a single grape would be less toxic no matter what is the age, size, and overall health of your pug. More grapes would indeed mean more intense symptoms. But, the potential of a single grape is much higher to disrupt some key elements of a pug’s body. Small dogs like pugs are at heavy risk because of grapes.

The main issue of grape consumption is kidney failure. Even though it has the potential to kill a pug. It can also impair a pug for a lifetime with health complications. We have to make sure that our pooch is safe. So, it is better never to give grapes for pugs to eat.


Frequently Asked Questions


What percentage of dogs get sick from eating grapes?

The statistics are shocking actually. A total of 50%-75% of dogs that face kidney failure have eaten grapes. The consumption of grapes and renal failure has become more common in all breeds of dogs. The major problem that it causes can be the irregular urine schedule. It makes your pug thirsty. It can also make your pug go to the bathroom many times.

How long will it take for my pug to die when consuming grapes?

The truth is, it won’t take your pug longer than 72 hours to die after consuming a grape. Remember all grapes are the same regardless of their colour. And, it doesn’t only apply to raw grapes but all kinds of grape products like raisins, currants, and also grape juice.

Final Words

Grapes aren’t a good fruit for your pug to eat. They might be packed with many nutrients, but they can cause kidney failure. It’s a shame that such a nutritious fruit cannot be given to our pooches to eat. In case by any means your pug eats a grape please run to the vet. You might try to induce vomiting. But please do it under an experienced vet’s supervision. There can be some vets who might allow some grapes to be given as part of a pug’s nutrition. But, the majority of vets oppose them. You should not give them grapes under any condition.